Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Ron Avery, Sight Alignment and Calling Your Shot

When I first started to think that I might want to do a LOT of IPSC/USPSA shooting, I actually invested in a series of video tapes (yes, I am that old) which provided a basic course of "how to do this stuff".

The source: Ron Avery's Three-tape (VHS) called "Secrets of a Professional Shooter".

(It's still reviewed here on VHS, and available here on DVD.)

It helped me a lot, and I was impressed when I watched him shooting Pepper Poppers on the move; I was encouraged because I eventually discovered that I too could do that .... just a lot slower.

Now he's got a quick video out on The Truth About Guns, called "Your Rear Sight Matters, Too".

He's still the master of 'shooting on the move', as far as I'm concerned.   And although the content may seem elementary to some viewers, there are pertinent tips about shooting in both a competition and in a self-defense situation.

One element which I thought was underplayed in this very short tutorial was the importance of 'calling your shots'.   I'd like to see someone put up a well-edited commentary on that methodology.

When I teach a class I try to stress the importance of 'calling your shot', but the class is too short (only four hours, one of those hours in lecture mode) to really TRAIN people in this important skill.  You can tell them "take a mental snapshot of the sight picture when the shot breaks, and replay it".  It's better than nothing, but I'm sure there is someone who can produce a professional level video which demonstrates the process.

Still, it's great to see Ron Avery back in the role of Tutor, which he does so well.

Now, if I can dust off the VHS player, I think I'll go re-watch his 3-part video.  I know there's still lots of stuff I can learn from Mister Shoot-On-The-Move.




No comments: